David has been the Bursar since 1988. He is the College's nominated Trustee on the Harpur Trust (aka the Bedford Charity), where he serves as the Chair of its Endowment Committee. Similarly, he is a non-executive director of OXIP (the Oxford Investment Partnership), of which New College is a part-owner. David is also the Director of the Oxford Centre for Higher Education Policy Studies (OxCHEPS), which is based at New College, and is the Honorary Treasurer of, and a Trustee of, the Society for Research into Higher Education (SRHE).
David regularly lectures on Higher Education policy, governance, and management, as well as on legal matters relating to the running of universities.
The law of higher education; comparative international HE policy (David is the joint editor of the projected 21 volume Routledge/Taylor&Francis 'International Studies in Higher Education' series); and the management of universities.
- Farrington & Palfreyman, The Law of Higher Education (2012 second edition, Oxford University Press Legal Practitioners Series).
- Palfreyman, The Oxford Tutorial (2008 second edition, OxCHEPS; 2010 Chinese edition, University of Peking Press).
- Palfreyman & Tapper, Structuring Mass Higher Education: The Role of Elite Institutions (2009, Routledge).
- Tapper & Palfreyman, The Collegiate Tradition in Higher Education (2010, Springer).
- Tapper & Palfreyman, Oxford, the Collegiate University: Conflict, Consensus, and Continuity (2011, Springer).
- Palfreyman, London's Livery Companies (2010, Oracle): London's Inns of Court (2011, Oracle).
- Tapper & Palfreyman, Universities 2020: The Rise of the Regulated Market, forthcoming Oxford University Press).